Sunday, December 25, 2016

We're Surrounded: A Christmas Overload!

   It's that time of year again! That time of overplayed Christmas songs we all belt in the car (admit it, you do it too), last minute gift shopping, and annual family get-togethers under the tree, whether you like it or not. But, what about the other holidays around this time of year? I know that Christmas is the holiday most celebrated all across the world and it's always fun to see the lights decorations all around the neighborhood. Heck, even I'll admit I love singing Christmas songs with some of my family members. But how about some holiday cheer for Hanukkah and Kwanzaa?!
   I think we can all agree that Christmas can sometimes be a little overrated around this time of year. It's always the same depiction, that it's all jolly and happy and that no one can be upset during Christmas. It's a day full of presents, family, and food. Yet, this isn't always what it's like for all families. Some people don't even have a family to celebrate with; don't have enough money for presents, decorations, etc.; or even like the holiday, let alone celebrate it. Especially now, Christmas overloaded with commercials about "saving big" on iPhones or other new technology for your teens or a new car or toys for the young ones. And to top it all off, the same holiday movies played every year, like A Christmas Story, Elf, and It's a Wonderful Life. Again, I'm all for these movies, but minorities need a little spotlight too. 
   Having said all of this, I am seeing more shows featuring Jews and shining light on Hanukkah other holidays (i.e. The Goldbergs), but what about in stores and/or on TV or across other forms of media? Heck, has anyone even heard a Hanukkah song on the radio or listened to a Hanukkah album? And what about Kwanzaa? Although we're both minority groups, that doesn't mean we don't exist. We deserve just as much advertising appeal and publication as Christmas, especially in the decorations department. All my life, while all the other kids were making Christmas wreath projects, I was the only one making a paper menorah to hang up in the house. Even all around the school, I was surrounded by green and red, and maybe one Jewish star if I was lucky. I never really saw any reference to Kwanzaa either. I felt that I was left out of something or that I needed to fit into something that I wasn't.
   From my perspective, that's all that Christmas commercials, songs, advertising, etc. do to those who are outnumbered by the masses. Companies use the need for affiliation to emphasize that "all kids need this new toy" or "you're not going to find deals like this anywhere else." In addition, advertisers use certain colors like red and green show that's these are during Christmas time and it's all about saving big for Christmas and blah blah blah. What about us? Where's the need for affiliation with Hanukkah and Kwanzaa?  Like adding a pop of blue and white or a Jewish star or drawing attention to idea of family and culture and lighting the candles for both Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. It would just be nice to get a little more attention around this time of year, you know.

1 comment:

  1. I often wondered why I celebrated Christmas when I was a kid. My family isn't christian after all. I think that the media coverage of Christmas is because of the amount of people that celebrate Christmas whether or not they are christian. I do agree that there should be more media coverage on Hanukkah and Kwanzaa though.

    ReplyDelete